Wednesday, November 28, 2012

What cats can teach us about Karandavasana

What does an Ashtangi (more specifically, this Ashtangi) do on moon days? Watch asana videos, of course! Particularly videos of asanas that he is working on at the moment. Following Erica's suggestion in a comment she left on my recent Karandavasana impotence post, I decided to check out the following video of Sarah Dee practicing Karandavasana under the expert guidance of Lexter the cat. David (Garrigues) and Joy are the owners/parents of Lexter; I imagine Lexter must have absorbed much yogic wisdom from them, and decided to impart it to Sarah. Hmm... maybe I should also volunteer to cat-sit Lexter the next time David and Joy go to India? ;-)

Anyway, here's the video. Enjoy, and happy moon day!



8 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmmm.... My cat sometimes laughs at me when I fall over in a yoga pose - but otherwise she is quite unhelpful / uninterested. Perhaps Lexter can offer some mentoring sessions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a cute video, loved it!
    I wish my brother's maltese puppy was behaving like Lexter. But instead, when I practice home and he's there, he's all over me. Jumping at me, licking me and more I'd rather not mention here! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pet cocktatiels sometimes land on me when I am doing my practice too:

      http://yogadragonden.blogspot.com/2012/09/cockatiels-aliens-patanjali-and-practice.html

      Several people I have spoken with agree that animals are attracted to the energy that yoga practice brings up in us. Which explains why they often can't lay their paws/claws off us when we are practicing :-)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful! I met Sarah Dee in Philadelphia last Winter and she gave me some great advice. I was very impressed with her dedication to David and Ashtanga yoga. The soundtrack is David as well, chanting.
    And not for nothing, but that's a pretty good duck with distractions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is indeed a good duck with distractions (or with the guidance of Lexter, depending on how you look at it). I hope to meet and study with Sarah and David in the near future.

      Delete
  4. Right on, thank you for posting, Nobel! Cheers to all of you...and look out for Lexter, he is one amazing cat!

    ReplyDelete