Thursday, December 13, 2012

Moon day, Thursday the 13th, and emotional constipation

This post probably has nothing to do with yoga. Although maybe it does, since yoga is life, and life is yoga. First, a little bit of fair warning is in order: This is one of my (hopefully) relatively rare posts in which I simply rant about a day that isn't going quite as smoothly as I would like it to go. If you are feeling blue, maybe it's better to not read this post.

Let me start by describing the feeling-texture of my day so far: The feeling is a bit like being a cow who is trying to drag a heavy cart through thick mud. The cow (in this case, me) pulls with all its might, but the cart moves only a millimeter at a time, if that. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that today is a new moon, and/or the fact that today is the day after 12.12.12, and is also Thursday the 13th, to boot.

So, what exactly is going on? Two things really. One is technological/manmade, the other is natural. Let's start with the natural phenomenon first. I seem to have caught a cold from somewhere (probably from people around me who have been feeling under the weather); it's not particularly debilitating (I mean, I'm still blogging...), but it does give one a feeling of blahness that is hard to ignore.

The second phenomenon is technological, man-made, and probably also aggravated by my stubbornness in the face of technological obstacles. Here's what happened: I needed to log onto my workplace's human resources website to get a hold of some personal documents which I need in order to do the transfer paperwork to my new workplace in Idaho. As it's been a long time since I tried to log onto the site, I forgot my password. It also doesn't help that this is one of those super-secure websites that require you to change your password once every six weeks or so... I mean, who the hell can constantly create and remember so many freaking new passwords?

But I decided to try to see if I can somehow jog my memory by trying different variations of the one password that I usually use. So I logged on the first time, and they told me that it's the wrong password. I then tried a second time, and then a third time, and then a fourth time. Still wrong password. Finally I gave up, and clicked the "Forgot my password" link. It directed me to the "Forgot password" page, where it asked for my userid again. And then it politely informs me that I have been locked out of the system! Now that is disturbing: This has never happened to me before. I called HR, and they told me that the system locked me out because of my numerous failed attempts at logging in; it's basically a security feature to lock out would-be hackers. But would a real hacker be as clumsy as I was?

Now I probably have to spend the rest of my day (and go to bed tonight) knowing that something important that I wanted to take care of today wasn't taken care of. Ever had that feeling? It's a bit like, I don't know, having to poop and not being able to. Emotional constipation, if you will. Engaging the bandhas here probably won't help either...       

6 comments:

  1. Nobel, relax. It'll be taken care of. Take care of something else. Do something you've been putting off or make some tea and take a nap. I hope my suggestion doesn't piss you off. It's not my intention. I sympathize and hope I can be as easygoing and follow my own suggestion when I encounter the same annoying hiccups.

    Wait, I think most of the time I just rage when that happens. I think that also helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elisa. No, I'm not pissed off. Actually, the situation actually just got resolved five minutes ago. Somehow, the HR people managed to get into my account and retrieve the documents I wanted to retrieve. So it was a big storm over nothing...

      Btw, your suggestion is great, and I would probably do well to follow it. It's just that I'm facing a combination of this particular situation, plus my physical condition, plus a whole bunch of very menial and repetitive tasks that need to be done at this point in the semester. Won't bore you with what those are...

      Delete
  2. Very interesting to read that it got solved Nobel, very happy, the universe always delivers, usually when we let it go enough and think it is beyond... I suppose it has to do with the controlling mind getting out of the way? I dont know, my guess. I am glad it all worked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, getting out of your own way... very true :-)

      Delete
  3. Yes it's one of those days when you think your day can't get worse and it does....totally empathize and glad to read that it's resolved now. I think the frustration you feel is compounded by feeling less than 100% so go easy on yourself. Rest first, then deal with the joys of menial/admin tasks. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks D. I am about to go deal with those joys you speak of right now...

      Delete