Friday, May 13, 2011

Nobel to the rest of the blogosphere: Test post

"Art is the expression of the self. The more complicated and restricted the method, the less the opportunity for expression of one's original sense of freedom. Though they play an important role in the early stage, the techniques should not be too mechanical, complex or restrictive. If we cling blindly to them, we shall eventually become bound by their limitations. Remember, you are expressing the techniques and not doing the techniques. If somebody attacks you, your response is not Technique No.1, Stance No. 2, Section 4, Paragraph 5. Instead you simply move in like sound and echo, without any deliberation. It is as though when I call you, you answer me, or when I throw you something, you catch it. It's as simple as that - no fuss, no mess."

Bruce Lee

This is a test post: I'm back! Wow, this blogger outage has taught me how much blogging is a part of my life: My life for the last 24 hours or so has felt quite... different without blogging. Moreover, I know many of you out there only through blogging. Imagine if the blogosphere were to be down forever (knock on wood...)... I would lose touch with many of you out there.

Anyway, I'm back, as are all of you. I posted this pretty cool Youtube video of Vladimir Horowitz playing Schumann's Traumerei on the piano. I'm not going to re-post it. I'll just wait for the blogger people to restore it. Enjoy it when it comes back on.

In the meantime, have fun with that Bruce Lee quote. Why did I post a quote from Bruce Lee? Because he's cool! I'm actually a big Bruce Lee fan. I'm going to write a post some day about Bruce Lee and yoga. I also read this comment somewhere on the blogosphere by somebody who said that she didn't know Bruce Lee had quotes! Gee, did you think Bruce Lee was just a mindless kungfu machine? I'm not offended; I just think that, since I'm a Bruce Lee fan, I have a responsibility to set the record straight :-)

I have some more substantial posts coming soon. For now, I'm just happy to be back in the blogosphere, wrecking more havoc :-) 

6 comments:

  1. Haha. I, too, succumbed to a touch of blogger withrawal. Must... BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Megan. Blogito ergo sum (I blog, therefore I am).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last couple of days felt like an episode of Lost. i thought I'd posted but then when i looked I'd lost two days, everyone had lost two days.

    I read this week, possibly in the guruji book that SKPJ was a fan and while he was in the states he used to go watch Brusce Lee movis all the time.

    And didn't he write his Phd on Hegel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Grimmly, everybody lost two days. It's like a blogger version of twilight zone; or a really bad comedy, depending on how you look at it.

    According to the University of Washington Alumni "100 Alumni of the Century" webpage, Bruce Lee attended the UW from 1961 to 1964, but never graduated (too busy running his kungfu school, I guess). Moreover, he majored in drama, not philosophy, as commonly believed. He did take a few philosophy classes, though, which probably added to the confusion. For more details, see http://www.washington.edu/alumni/columns/dec99/j_o.html

    I did read somewhere that he wrote a senior thesis in which he expounded some of the ideas that were eventually published in Tao of Jeet Kune Do. But I'm not sure how reliable that source was. And I don't know about Hegel.

    Gosh, this is really bringing out the Bruce Lee geek in me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, just noticed we are back.... That was a long hiatus... Hee hee, hiatus , that is a new word from me...

    ReplyDelete