Sunday, February 10, 2013

Happy Moon Day, and may your year be filled with powerful snake energy!

Happy Moon Day, everyone! And as it turns out, today (February 10th) is also the first day of the Chinese Lunar Calendar, which marks the beginning of the Year of the Snake. Although I haven't been celebrating Chinese New Year for a number of years (over the years, it has become just another day on the calendar for me), I can't help feeling that the year of the snake has special significance for Ashtanga practitioners.

As many of you probably know, from an energetic point of view, the goal of Ashtanga practice is to get the sleeping snake of Kundalini to awaken and uncoil itself from its resting place at the base of the spine, and to rise through the sushumna nadi to come out through the crown chakra. When this happens, as yoga lore would have it, the practitioner will be endowed with limitless creative energy. I can't tell you more about what this is like or what you will be able to accomplish when that happens, because I haven't experienced it myself. But it is an exciting possibility, nonetheless. At the same time, however, we also need to be watchful and vigilant, lest such Kundalini rising result in an energetic imbalance.

Well, I don't have much else  to say for now, so I'll leave it at this. May you enjoy a year of powerful snake energy.

Speaking of snakes and cobras, I'll probably go see the upcoming GI Joe movie...
[Image taken from here]

No comments:

Post a Comment