Saturday, December 13, 2014

Kino on Yoga, Intense Seinfeld-like Emotions and Leg Behind The Head

I just watched the video below, in which Kino talks about something that many of us who have done the Ashtanga practice for a while would be able to relate to: Strong emotions that arise during practice. If you do this practice regularly, you would inevitably encounter times during practice when strong emotions come up. These emotions could range from anger, sadness, feelings of inadequacy about a particular aspect of your life, etc, and they often arise when you are about to attempt or go into a particularly challenging pose.

But in my case, what usually arises is not a particularly strong emotion, but some totally trivial episode in my recent life. For example, I often find myself mentally replaying some particular recent life episode just before I go into a challenging pose like Kapotasana or Karandavasana. Very often, the episode in question is some totally trivial yet somehow personally significant thing--usually something stupid that I recently said to somebody, or something stupid that I recently did, which I am not proud of--and it would just spontaneously replay itself in my mind as I am attempting to get my feet into a lotus position while balancing on my forearms in Karandavasana, or as I am walking my fingers to grab my heels in Kapo.

Well, if it is true that yoga poses activate certain parts of our bodies that store certain feelings, then Kapotasana and Karandavasana must activate the part of my body that stores Seinfeld-like episodes. Not sure if this is a good thing...

Anyway, I suppose I should stop editorializing here, and leave you to enjoy Kino's video. Enjoy!   
  

24 comments:

  1. Yep, never really had a strong emotion arise in practice either, amusement perhaps on occasion (does that count). Love the leggings in the screenshot but can't bring myself to click play on a video with 'Living the Yogi's Life', this and the recent Sonima videos (which I also can't bare to watch ) do tend to bring strong feelings of irritation to the surface however, certainly more so than karandavasana and kapo. Great to have a post from you Noble, it's getting lonely out here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you, Anthony. I've not seen any of the Sonima videos, so I can't say anything about any of that; as you have probably figured, I've hardly been reading anything in the yoga/Ashtanga blogosphere/social media world lately. I've decided that the real world is more... real and interesting. But I really think you are doing great work on your blog. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing another interesting post. Yoga continues to surprise me especially because of the wonderful benefits that it brings to the body, as well as its unexpected effects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The information on yoga you have shared through this post are awesome and so interesting Nobel. yet another usefull yoga related site www.holisticyogaandayurvedagoa.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yoga has always been fascinating to me, i tried to do it at home, by myself, but i think i would make better progress with a group :)
    yoga center in riyadh

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter has been told to practice yoga regularly. And I don’t have any knowledge about yoga. I am very confused if I should use online yoga videos to teach her or I should select a yoga studio. Help me friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this, Ashtangi. Intense emotions can really get in the way of a good yoga practice. It's a relief to know that one can still be human while practicing yoga by experiencing such emotions. Still, one must be able to conquer these strong emotions in order to progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Strong emotions often can get in the way of yoga practice. Instead of achieving relaxation, one will feel so many emotions that are just off the charts. It's good that you pointed out that yoga will make you deeply aware of yourself, and therefore, also your emotions. This realization will help beginning yogis to still continue the practice and not get disheartened or discouraged by the thoughts and feelings that are going through them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yoga is good for health, regular practice gives more confidence. It makes you fit and healthy. We need more info keep posting on the blog. Thanks!

    Yoga

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice blog,
    Boost Your Energy With Yoga , Yoga is a deeply spiritual practice, improve stamina, strength and body flexibility, concentration and balance, improved metabolism,.
    Yoga Teacher Training

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice sharing! For Yoga, you can try your hand at pilates, bodyworks, yoga, line dance, aerobics, and even a more upbeat cardio program called Jazzercise. I do have some yoga sharing in my blog too, please feel free visit back at kidbuxblog.com

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

  13. Namaste,


    I read your blog it's really nice and i like it very much.Thanks for sharing this useful information.For Yoga course rishikesh you can visit http://www.rishikeshyogis.com

    Thanks
    Reena

    ReplyDelete
  14. I sometimes break out into a smile or laugh when I am moving between poses in my yoga practice - and just the same can really feel the pull of self doubt and negative thoughts at other times.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This article brings a new perspective. It is inspiring as well. www.bellofpeace.org

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you for sharing those useful weight loss tip.to look better and feel amazing you can check >>xhealthcareplans.blogspot.com<<. these are simple to keep follow or video >>Find the Best Yoga Videos For Beginners by Kris Fondran's<<

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yoga is a good exercise, you can do at home. Yoga helps in many problems and we can do easy asana for out fitness and healthy life.
    Yoga Teacher Training India

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yoga help in both Physical Health and Mental Health.regular practice gives more confidence and fit Thankyou for shares a lot of thing about Yoga. Yoga Teachear traning in India

    ReplyDelete
  20. nice post

    Please visit-
    Website- https://www.yogabookingportal.com/
    Contact Us- +91-9557673297

    ReplyDelete