Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What if the practice were one big two-hour-long daily placebo?

I couldn't help having this thought after Yyogini forwarded me the following video. Well, I'll continue to practice anyway: I have long decided that even if the practice does absolutely nothing for me (beyond enabling me to do kapotasana and put my legs behind my head), I'll still do it anyway. Why? Because it's fun! Well, maybe not always... But it's certainly a lot better than just hearing the alarm every morning and/or hitting the snooze button, and dragging my sorry ass out of bed and to work right away. Got to have a reason to wake up in the morning. And it might as well be the practice :-)

Gee, I hope I'm not spoiling anybody's mood and/or stepping on somebody's cyber-toes by saying everything I just said. Maybe not everything can be blogged about. And maybe thoughts like these fall under this category. But whatever. Have fun with the video!

2 comments:

  1. No need to freak out. The message here is that placebo WORKS. The results are measurable and significant. The downside is that it stops working when you no longer have faith in it. Asthanga practice will still strengthen your body even if you don't believe in it though.
    Hey religious groups should stop putting down science and cite placebo studies as reasons to have strong faith in god :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Yyogini, you are definitely right that the Ashtanga practice is not a placebo, because it works even if you don't believe in it. This didn't occur to me when I posted this earlier. :-)

    "Hey religious groups should stop putting down science and cite placebo studies as reasons to have strong faith in god :P"

    Hahahha!

    ReplyDelete