Monday, March 11, 2013

Seeing 108; or why I might be going insane

Recently (like, over the past week or so), I have been seeing the number "108" seemingly everywhere I turn. I would be looking at the clock, and it would say 1:08 p.m. (never "a.m.", because I don't stay up that late). Or I would see 10:08 a.m. or p.m.

And just a few minutes ago, I saw the number 108 somewhere (I can't remember exactly where now; I think it was on some car's registration plate...).

I know that the number 108 has a lot of significance in both Buddhist and Hindu lore. For instance, sentient beings are said to have 108 desires... so I can't help wondering if there is any significance to the fact that I seem to be seeing this number everywhere of late. But then again, psychologists don't seem to think much of this experience; they dismiss this as apophenia, or the tendency to perceive patterns or conditions where none exist. Hmm... psychologists seem to have a fancy name for every condition under the sun these days. But if apophenia is indeed a condition, that may well mean that I am going insane! But whether or not I am indeed going insane, one can't deny that it's still intriguing that of all the patterns or connections that I could be noticing, I am noticing 108, don't you think? 

Oh, and I wanted to finish this post at exacty 1:08 p.m. (more for poetic effect than anything else), but it's now around 1:18 p.m. So that didn't quite work out...

Oh well. 

2 comments:

  1. Here's a little fun fact:

    Surya Namaskara A has 9 vinyasas and 5 breaths in down dog. 9+5=14

    Surya Namaskara B has 17 vinyasas and 5 breaths in down dog. 17+5=22

    3 Surya Namaskara A: 14*3=42
    3 Surya Namaskara B: 22*3=66

    42+66=108

    Anyone looking for an excuse to do only 3 of each Surya Namaskara, there you go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for giving me an excuse to do only 3As and 3Bs :-)

      Delete