Saturday, July 23, 2011

Spirits and Sound, and Matthew Sweeney

It is now 10:18 p.m. CDT. I am now in Minneapolis. I arrived here a few hours ago, and will be attending Matthew Sweeney's workshop at the Yoga House from tomorrow (Sunday) to Thursday.

There is no mysore session tomorrow. The morning session is an introduction to Intermediate, and the afternoon session is on backbends. Since my rest-day is Sunday, and I actually did full primary this morning (needed the practice for the four-hour drive down here), this means that I basically have no rest day this week. I'm really curious as to how Sweeney will conduct the session on Intermediate. I will try to post on this tomorrow, and share whatever I learn with everybody.

While I'm at it, I may as well give you a little food review too. This evening, I had dinner at this place called Cause Spirits and Soundbar. The quickest way to describe it would be to call it a bar and restaurant, except that it seems to also be a popular local concert venue; I take it that it is a pretty happening place in this city. When I was there, the whole place was packed with lots of hip-looking concert-going people (you can probably tell that I don't belong in this crowd, can't you? ;-)). Well, I basically tried to make myself as inconspicuous as possible. I found myself a booth, and ordered a beer and tofu-and-peppers sandwich. The latter is really good (actually, the beer is too, but I take it that most sattvically-minded folk out there would have little interest in such tamasic beverages, so I'll leave this part out :-)); it's basically a big chunk of breaded fried tofu in a burger with peppers melted in cheese. Sounds delicious, no?

Well, this is going to be a really brief post. I'm going to try to get some rest now, to prepare myself to receive Mr. Sweeney's teaching in the morning :-) Will write more later. 

2 comments:

  1. Matthew is freaking awesome, and he's also the first human being to ever put me in Kapotasana (to toes, July 2008) and he's the main person responsible for teaching me to drop back (taking heels up, which led to many backyard experiments that finally locked it down).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Patrick, Matthew is quite awesome indeed [insert cool Australian accent]. Yes, I really think his taking the heels up thing and the hanging back and coming back up slowly are really effective for building strength and openness in the front body.

    ReplyDelete